Where it all Began…
Sue Lord trained initially as a Registered General Nurse only to find that there were no child care facilities for her baby son. So Puddleducks Children’s Nursery in Haslingden opened in a dormer bungalow in 1991, just as her daughter Kathryn joined Stephen at school! With her cousin Clare they worked hard to create a happy, homely nursery for very young children. Throughout the intervening 26 years the nursery has grown both in size and reputation – receiving Outstanding in May 2012 and again in 2015.
In this period Sue and her partner Andrew opened Puddleducks at Rising Bridge, near Accrington, and attempted successfully to replicate the pleasant, airy and happy atmosphere ta Haslingden. This nursery is in a modest 1960’s church hall.
Following the success of these nurseries Sue and Andrew went on to open Puddleducks@ Meadoway in September 2018. This is based in Accrington on Regent Road, off Dill Hall Lane. This was a nursery previously and has had a revamp to make it a bright and airy nursery it is today.
The vision all along has been:
- Provide parents with a happy and safe space to let their children play,
- Provide activities the excite and entice children to play and learn,
- Qualified staff that are recruited are motivated with the passion for helping children to learn,
- Use parent’s, carer’s, grandparent’s, visitor’s feedback to make our nursery better,
- To help children learn new skills and develop the ones they already have,
- To provide staff with the opportunities to develop themselves professionally.