Once a week our Pre-School children go to Great and Small Forest School sessions in Clayton Le Moors. We go into our Explorer Bus and off on a muddy adventure.
We don our waterproof suits along with our wellies and hats and investigate the beautiful forest near our nursery. We climb the muddy hills, we practice our tree climbing skills, we use team work, we splash in the river and streams, we fill and empty containers, we sieve the mud away to find treasures, transport the water where we need it and we build our own dens and constructions using the materials we find in the forest. It is just so much fun!
While the children are investigating they learn about:
- how to look after our trees and plants and animals,
- how to keep ourselves safe while exploring the forest,
- how to persevere in a task and if a challenge arises,
- trial and error situations,
- developing our self-confidence by pushing our own boundaries,
- doing our own risk assessments.